The city tour includes excursions to Uganda Museum, Kasubi Tombs, Local markets – Owino Market & Nakasero Market, Rubaga Hill, Namirembe Hill, the (Kabaka’s) Kings Lake to mention but a few. After breakfast we will pick you up from a hotel of your choice in either Kampala or Entebbe, explore the seven hills of Kampala (popularly known as Rome of Uganda) plus the rest of Kampala.
Here below is a brief information on some of the places we will be visiting:
A display of Uganda’s cultural heritage where one can see ethnological and natural-historical exhibitions. It is a vivid reminder of the country’s colourful past. The Uganda Museum (founded in 1908) in Kampala has exhibits of traditional culture, archeology, history, science, and natural history. It regularly presents performances of traditional music.
The place where fallen kings of Buganda Kingdom are burried. The Tombs of Buganda Kings at Kasubi constitute a site embracing almost 30 ha of hillside within Kampala district. At its core on the hilltop is the former palace of the Kabakas of Buganda, built in 1882 and converted into the royal burial ground in 1884. Four royal tombs now lie within the Muzibu Azaala Mpanga, the main building, which is circular and surmounted by a dome. It is a major example of an architectural achievement in organic materials, principally wood, thatch, reed, wattle and daub. The site’s main significance lies, however, in its intangible values of belief, spirituality, continuity and identity.
At the noon of Saturday, January, 1895, the right Reverand Mckay advised the then Kabaka of Buganda to establish the first market in the Lubiri (palace). In 1905 the market moved to Kabugube and this was a temporary structure. Here you can find a variety of huge variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, mostly indigenous to Uganda. Across the street is a lower market, full of spices, legumes, grains, and hand-made house hold items. This market is surrounded by a number of shops or dukas, where you find everything for the home . Hardware, sanitary ware and electrical shops surround the area.
One of the largest markets in this region of Africa. The endless booths that line the chaotic alleys of Owino offer a mind-boggling array everything from homemade irons, to American hand-me- down-clothes with the goodwill price tags still on then, to an amazing array of African foods, to any and everything else under the sun. Everything at Owinio starts cheap and gets cheaper with bargaining.
Another market option is the craft market on Buganda Road or the slightly larger crafts market behind the national theatre near the Garden City complex. Also on Buganda Rd.
Rubaga Hill taken-up by the Roman Catholics (and the first roman catholic church here); Rubaga Hill was the location of the main palace of Kabaka Muteesa I who ruled Buganda between 1856 and 1884. The palace was struck by lightning and was rebuilt on neighboring Mengo Hill. The first Roman Catholic missionaries to arrive in Buganda were Frenchmen, Father Pierre Lourdel Monpel and Brother Amans, who settled near the hill in 1879.
As the Catholic Church took root in the country, the missionaries were allocated land on Lubaga Hill. The construction of St. Mary’s Cathedral on Lubaga Hill took place between 1914 and 1925, with the assistance of monetary contributions from Roman Catholic congregations abroad. Later, the missionaries also built a hospital and a nursing school on the hill.
Today, Lubaga remains the seat of the headquarters of the Catholic Church in Uganda. It is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Kampala. The remains of the first African Catholic bishop in Uganda, Bishop Joseph Nakabaale Kiwanuka and those of the first African Catholic Cardinal, Cardinal Emmanuel Kiwanuka Nsubuga are kept in the Catholic Mission on the hill.
The Anglican Christians’ oldest church here; Mengo Hill which has the headquaters of the traditional (the largest of Uganda’s traditional monarchies). The hill rises 4,134 feet (1,260 m) above sea level. It stands adjacent to Mengo Hill, the seat of the Buganda Government. The history of the two hills is intertwined, geographically, politically and religiously. Namirembe is the location of St. Paul’s Cathedral, the main place of worship of the Anglican Church in Uganda, from the time of its construction (1915 to 1919), until the 1960’s when the Cathedral became the seat of the Diocese of Namirembe.
Visit the Kabaka’s Lake (Kayanja Ka Kabaka), the largest man-made lake here, dug up on orders of the tyrant Sekkabaka Mwanga (also a former King), who needed it as an escape route besides being a place for water sport just adjescent to his kingdom headquaters – Mengo.
After drive to Kampala central visiting Nakasero Market and a curio shop for some craft shops. This tour can be done any time of the year. It can also be done at the start or at the end of any of our other safari packages.